In accordance with government guidance, our recreational sites and car parks remain open for people to exercise outdoors. We ask that you follow the latest guidance on group sizes and social distancing to help keep yourself, our key workers and others safe.
If you do plan to visit, we continue to request that you are respectful of our sites, staff members, other visitors and local communities:
- Do not light any BBQs or fires and call 999 to report any uncontrolled fires that may be at risk of spreading.
- Make sure you take any litter home with you.
- Please follow any instructions on signage around the site.
- Please follow designated paths. The paths are there to keep you and our key workers safe.
- If the car park is full, please do not park on verges or on the road as this causes traffic issues and can block important access for operational vehicles or the emergency services.
West of Sheffield just off the M62 motorway.
2 out of 4
Terrain & gradient
Mostly level, wide and well surfaced paths with a steep zig-zag path at the beginning and a steep detour around the sailing club. There are no stiles on this route.
How to get there
There are 3 car parks around the reservoir. Wood Edge car park on Low Platt Lane has a height barrier (1.8m) and is locked at 6.00pm. Crull Moor car park, on the Deanhead village side of the reservoir, is only open between 1st April and 30th September 9.00am to 6.00pm.
There are only 91 parking spaces at Scammonden Low Platt Lane/Wood Edge car park, 14 parking spaces at New Lane car park and 18 parking spaces at Sledge Gate car park which fill up quickly most days.
On the M62, exit at junction 24 and take the first exit at the roundabout for Lindley Moor Rd/A643. At the next roundabout, take the third exit onto New Hey Rd/A640. After 3 miles, turn right onto O’Cot Lane. After almost half a mile, turn right onto Low Platt Lane. The car park is 200metres up the road on your left.
By public transport
There is a bus stop on Saddleworth Rd/Church Lane which 0.8 miles from the Western side of the reservoir.