We know dealing with the loss of a loved one can be really hard. There are lots of things to sort out, so we’re here to help during this difficult time. That’s why we’re dedicated to supporting you and making this as easy as possible.

Lower Laithe Reservoir at sunset

Tell us someone has passed away

The best way to tell us someone has passed away is to give us a call or request a callback. We'll sort everything as quickly as we can.

Call us on 0345 1 24 24 24

Mon-Fri 8am-6pm

Saturday 9am-5pm

Sunday and bank holidays Closed


What to expect

When you call us, we may need to close the account. It’s not possible to change the name on the account if there’s only one customer named.  If someone’s still using the water we may need to create a new account for them. To make this as quick and easy as possible, it would be great if you’ve got any of this information to hand:

  • The person’s details including name, address and date of death.
  • If the property is owned or rented.
  • An up to date meter reading (only if it's safe to read the meter).
  • If you're closing the account - the forwarding address to send any final correspondence to.
  • If someone is still living in the house and needs a new account - their full name, forwarding address and telephone number.

If you don’t have all the information, there’s no need to worry. Give us a call and we'll be happy to help.

More ways we can help

Help paying your bill

If you’re worried about paying your bills, support is available and we may be able to help you.

See how we can help

Piggy bank

Water meters

Depending on water usage and how many people are in your home, you could save money by having a water meter installed.

See if you could save

Washing machine

Priority services

If you struggle to read your bill, take a meter reading or need a constant supply of water, we’re here for you.

Sign up for Priority Services


What do I do if the account holder dies?

Just request a call back and we’ll sort everything as quickly as we can.

How do I notify Yorkshire Water of a death?

The best way to tell us someone has died is to request a call back and we’ll sort everything as quickly as we can.

Can I transfer the account after a death?

No, we'll need to close the account and open a new one.

Do I need to send you any documents?

When you call, we might ask you for a copy of the death certificate.

If so, this is where you send it:

Yorkshire Water
PO Box 52