In accordance with government guidance, our recreational sites and car parks remain open for people to exercise outdoors. We ask that you follow the latest guidance on group sizes and social distancing to help keep yourself, our key workers and others safe.
If you do plan to visit, we continue to request that you are respectful of our sites, staff members, other visitors and local communities:
- Do not light any BBQs or fires and call 999 to report any uncontrolled fires that may be at risk of spreading.
- Make sure you take any litter home with you.
- Please follow any instructions on signage around the site.
- Please follow designated paths. The paths are there to keep you and our key workers safe.
- If the car park is full, please do not park on verges or on the road as this causes traffic issues and can block important access for operational vehicles or the emergency services.
Need an easier walk?
We try to make our reservoirs as accessible as possible. Part of our Ryburn walk (between points 1 and 8 in the walking guide) has wide, surfaced tracks with no steps or stiles. The rest of this walk follows steep and uneven paths.You can find our more by reading our walking guide.
West of Ripponden.
3 out of 4
Terrain & gradient
Varied terrain - some established footpaths, but many unsurfaced sections through woods and fields over rough and uneven ground. There are some steps, stiles and narrow gates. Much of the walk can be boggy and muddy at wetter times of year. Includes a section of steep climbing (about 250m long). We recommend
sturdy walking boots.
How to get there
You can use our free car park (HX6 4LD), which is near the reservoir dam wall and is the starting point of this walk (point 1 on the walk guide). To get to here, turn off the A58 just over a mile south west of Ripponden, onto Swift Lane. After about 300m you will reach the bottom of the lane, where the car park is on your left.
By public transport
Rochdale Road Swift Place bus stop is just at the top of Swift Lane, which leads down to the starting point of this walk. Rochdale road Nursery Lane bus stop is on the opposite side of the road if you are travelling in the other direction. Please take care as you walk down Swift lane, as it is not pavemented.