Protect your home from flooding
If you live in an area which is prone to flooding, you'll want to take precautions. There are some steps that can be taken to prepare for a flood and protect your home from flooding.
2. Get the latest flood warnings
Sign up to receive free flood alerts by email or SMS from the Environment Agency (EA). Alternatively, you can search for the latest flood warnings directly on their website or call the EA Floodline on 0345 988 1188.
3. Check your home insurance
It's worth checking that your home and contents are insured against flooding. Contact your landlord if you're renting.
4. Prepare a kit of essential items:
- Home insurance documents.
- Torch and batteries.
- Warm, waterproof clothing and blankets.
- First aid kit and medication.
- Bottled water and food.
- Items for babies/children (e.g. nappies).
5. Protect your valuables
Any valuable possessions should be moved to safety before a flood. Things like electrical equipment and furniture can be moved to a higher floor or temporary storage such as a friend’s house that isn't at risk.