Sewerage Connections

If you own a building and require a connection to the public sewer, we can help.

What do you need to do?

You need to send us a completed application form, along with your application fee and any supporting material. The guidance notes give you advice on completing the application form, connection methods and associated fees.

The fee is non-refundable so do check your connection is to a public sewer before applying. Please note we require 21 days notification of a connection and the appropriate fee.

There are different charges for sewer connections, so please read the application form and guidance notes.

For proposed buildings covered by a planning application, there's no right of connection to a public sewer under S106 of The Water Industry Act until planning approval has been granted and any drainage conditions discharged.

What happens next?

Once approved, you'll arrange for a contractor to make the connection at your cost and our inspector will monitor the work as it takes place. We recommend using a suitably qualified and experienced contractor.

Connections of land and highway drainage/road gullies have no right of connection to the public sewer network. Highway drainage may be considered; please contact the Developer Services Team for further information.

When a property is connected to the public sewer network for the first time, a sewerage infrastructure charge is payable. This is usually collected at the same time as any charges for any new water supply connection.

If the work involves excavations in the public highway (including footways and grass verges) you'll have to obtain consent from the Highway Authority (this is usually your Local or County Council). The Highway Authority will require you to use a certified contractor in accordance with the New Road and Street Works Act 1991.

All sewer connections must be gravity connections and shall be inspected and approved by our inspector before any additional pipes are laid or before concreting or backfilling.

Please note that foul water must not be disposed of to a surface water sewer and surface water should generally not be discharged to a foul or combined sewer.

We'll refuse a connection to a public sewer if it appears to be detrimental to the public sewer network in terms of the mode of construction, or condition of the drain or sewer.

Need help with a sewer connection?

*Please note that if you choose to apply online, you will be required to pay your application fee upfront, using our secure system.*