Sewer Requisition

If your development has no way of draining to a public sewer due to the land between the site and the sewer being owned by a third party, and they will not give you access to the land, you can requisition (formally request) a public sewer. This means Yorkshire Water would undertake the work to install public sewers for the site. This is a chargeable service, details of which can be found in our Charging Arrangements for 2020/21.

If you would like to requisition a sewer, our dedicated Requisition team will be happy to guide you through the process and be your dedicated point of contact throughout. The application form provides information on how to requisition a public sewer through third party land for the purpose of draining domestic wastewater flows from premises, under Section 98 to 101 of the Water Industry Act 1991.

A public sewer may only be requisitioned if it serves two or more properties, on land which there are or will be buildings. A lateral drain (serves only 1 property) may also be provided from the site boundary to the existing public sewer. Public sewers and lateral drains may only be requisitioned by the owner or occupier of premises, or the relevant local authority. Domestic purposes do not include the removal of water used for business purposes.

Download the form here