Frequently asked questions about water meters
Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions about our water meters.
- If your property is metered, the reference number on your bill will start with 5 and the meter serial number will be shown on your bill.
- If you move into a property which already had a water meter, the meter will remain in the property and we'll calculate your charges on a metered basis.
You can't have the meter removed, and you don't have the option of reverting to unmetered services.
All new properties are metered.
- The serial number will be shown on your bill. If you run a tap, the dial on top of your meter should spin.
There are lots of ways you can save water in your home and in return it might help you save money off your other utility bills too! We also offer free water saving kits to help you save water in your home. To order your FREE water saving pack and for tips on how to save water, money and energy click here.
- Your meter is most likely to be found next to the internal stop tap, usually under your kitchen sink or in the garage or it may be outside under a small manhole.
- There are 3 likely locations for a water meter:
- Inside the property
- Outside, adjacent to the property wall
- Outside, next to the stop tap, close to the property/highway boundary.
We'll take your meter reading at least once a year but if your meter is inside and you are not at home when we visit we'll leave a card so you can send us your own reading.If you don't think it's safe to read your meter, please give us a call and we'll come out and do it for you.
Please see the meter reading section of our website for information on reading your meter and sending the reading to us.
- Our meters record in cubic metres and measure how much water we've supplied to your home.
This means that when you receive your bill, you pay for the amount of water you've used, plus standing charges and sewerage charges. Charges will normally start from the date we install the meter, and we'll credit or refund any overpayments you've made against your non metered charges.
Search our frequently asked questions
We store all answers to our most frequently asked questions. Just type in your question or keyword and we'll return the most relevant answers.
Did you know: The average customer who installed a meter saved over £100 per year.Request a water meter
Need to contact us?
Start a Live Chat
Speak to an agent immediately.
We are available Monday to Saturday 6.30am to 10pm and on Sunday 7.30am to 10pm.
Roadworks, Incidents & Leaks
Enter your location below to see if there are any issues that are occuring in your area:
Request a FREE call back
Arrange a time to suit you
Available Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm, Saturday 9am to 5pm.