Support for Stannington residents


We're here to help

We’re sorry about the impact this burst water main had and understand how difficult it was for those affected.

We’re upgrading and moving a section of our water main in Stannington to reduce the likelihood of an event of this nature happening in the future.

Read about work in Stannington and the independent investigation into the cause of the burst


We don’t want any customers to worry about compensation for any costs they’ve had to incur.

Customers looking to submit a compensation claim can do so by following the information below.

Gas related claims

For compensation claims relating to loss of gas supply, Cadent automatically pays compensation to customers who have been without gas for more than 24 hours. They will write to customers after the incident to explain further. Any claims about gas appliances need to go to Cadent too. More details can be found at

Water damage claims

You can contact Yorkshire Water to claim compensation for damage to internal fixtures, fittings or contents caused by water that has entered your property.

You can make a claim by completing the online form below or calling our dedicated helpline, which is open 8am-8pm Monday-Sunday, on 01274 250555.

We'll respond to claims submitted online by the end of the next working day.

To make a water damage claim, please tell us:

  • your contact email address
  • your contact phone number
  • the address of the property affected
  • how was the damage was caused
  • what the damage is 
  • which appliance was affected 
  • which room the damage is in
  • the estimated cost of damage.

When our general enquiries form asks you to choose a business area, please select "Water supply".

Submit your claim information online

Use our general enquiries form to submit your information.