Sewage leaks in your home or garden

Here at Yorkshire Water, we understand that a sewage leak is a horrible thing to happen to your home. We work hard to try and stop this from happening, but if it does, we’ll do everything we can to help.

1. Report it

If sewage has come into your home or property, you should contact us immediately and we’ll make it our top priority.

If the sewage is outside of your property, you can check to see if someone has already reported the flood to us, on our incidents page.

If we don’t already know about it, please call and let us know as soon as possible so we can respond quickly.

2. We’ll take a look

If sewage is inside your home or property, we’ll try to get to you the same day. You’ll need to be in when we visit so if you can’t be there, we’ll make you an appointment for a later date.

If sewage is outside your property, we’ll aim to get there within 5 days.

We can text you on the day to let you know the technician is on their way. When they arrive, the technician will clean up the mess and figure out what’s causing the leak. Once they know what the problem is, the technician will tell you what you need to do and explain when happens next.

Who is responsible for carrying out any work?

You are responsible for all the pipes inside the property. These include toilets, sink drains and any outdoor guttering or pipes attached to the property. You’re also responsible for the section of pipe from where the pipes go into the ground, either directly or into a gully close to the property, until it reaches a public sewer (unless this is shared with your neighbour).

Don't worry, we're still on hand to give you advice and we'll help you as much as we can.

3. Next steps

If it's a problem with our pipework, we’ll take responsibility and sort it.

Every situation is different, so it’s difficult to know how long the problem will take to fix. If it’s a simple problem, we may be able to fix it on our first visit. Fixing big problems can be complicated and may take a while, so we may need to come back to do further work. If we need access to your property again, we’ll get in touch to arrange another appointment.

4. Fixing a problem on your property

If you live in a rented property, you should contact your landlord and tell them about the problem.

If you own the property, contact your insurance company before you start looking for a drainage contractor. They will be able to give you help and advice about making a claim. If you don’t notify your insurance company, it could affect any future insurance claim. We have no liability for sewage leaks which are beyond our control so your insurance company are best placed to help you regarding loss and damage.

Always stay safe

Sewage leaks can be very dangerous so it's important you stay safe.

  • Do not walk through flood waters if you can avoid it - they may contain sewage and other dangers. You should also keep children and pets away from the affected area.
  • Wash your hands and disinfect footwear after any contact with the sewage.
  • Turn off electricity and gas points if sewage is in danger of reaching them.
  • Take extra care around flooded areas - manhole covers may have been moved by the water. You might not be able to see this, and you could fall and injure yourself.
  • Never attempt to unblock a sewer yourself – this would put you at risk and could make the situation worse. You should wait for one of our professionals to come and deal with the problem.
  • Protect cuts and grazes with waterproof dressings and wear rubber gloves to protect yourself while cleaning up.
  • Don’t eat any fruit or vegetables grown in the garden if there has been a sewage leak, and don’t plant any new ones for at least six months.

Frequently asked questions