What to do in a flood

What to do in a flood: what happens if my property is flooded?

Yorkshire Water understand sewage flooding is very unpleasant and distressing. That's why we urge you to get in touch with us as soon as possible.

Yorkshire Water offer a service to help to reduce the effects of sewage flooding by giving help as quickly as possible in cleaning up and disinfecting the affected area.

Can I make a claim for any damage to my property?

We don’t accept liability for damage caused by flooding from a public sewer unless we’ve been negligent in some way, so you should notify your household insurer immediately. We’ll look at claims on a case-by-case basis, if:

- you’re not covered by your own insurance, or

- you have to pay an excess on your insurance policy, or

- your premium increases if you make a claim on your policy for sewer flooding.

We will provide a named contact and keep you informed of progress with your flooding enquiry.