8 ways to protect your home during a flood
1. Plan how you could stop water entering your home e.g. sandbags or flood sacks, drain plugs, door guards, air brick covers. Search for stockists online.
2. Move your valuable belongings to a safe/dry place and roll up carpets and rugs. You may also need to move your car.
3. Check your home insurance to make sure you're covered and keep details in a handy/dry place.
4. Know how to turn off your gas, electricity and water and let everyone in your house know too.
5. Disconnect cookers, washing machines and dishwashers that are connected to gas or water pipes - to reduce damage if the appliances float
6. Prepare a flood kit including a torch, warm and waterproof clothing, water, food and medication.
7. Prepare a list of contact names and telephone numbers for utility providers, insurance company, neighbours or relatives.
8. Think if there is anyone in your community that will need help such as a neighbour with an